Spotted: A BMW V12...Fastback?

I was driving into downtown Tampa today and saw a car I'd never seen
before. I only saw it from the back and side, but it was very strange.
It was (I believe) a fastback, very short. It looked like a late 80's
early 90's kinda styling (like you see in the Japanese cars of the
time-the RX-7 and Supra and Nissans and such). On the back were the new
BMW-style taillights (the horizontal bars, but they were wider, like
twice the width). There was a faded roundel in the middle, and on the
left side, a V-12 badge. No model/series info or anything. The guy had
his windows open (there were two, in the longer doors, consistent with
the style) and I caught a glimpse of the instrument cluster. It was
vaguely BMW, I believe, with the separate gas gauge and water temp
gauge, but the speedometer and odometer were in the Japanese style-the
speedometer (or maybe the tachometer) overlapping the speedo (or tach).
Is this one of those infamous BMW fakes? Or is this a real car?
Enlighten my curious mind.

Matt