Oil Changing Was/ re: Oil Change Intervals

Oil Changing  Was/  re: Oil Change Intervals

     I used to be a Castrol GTX freak changing it every 3k miles
rigorously in the older models.  With newer oil compositions, I find
that 5k miles oil and filter intervals in the E36 //M3 keeps the engine
nicely clean.  Unwantingly, I got to see this when I had to pull the
head at 60k miles.
     In the //M motor, I fill it with 8 quarts //Mobil 1 5w30.  Then add
a quart again between 3 and 4 k miles.
While some complain about poor oil consumption in //M motors, I believe
a thorough break period in when the car was new has everything to do
with how little oil my motor consumes now at 80k miles.
     Btw, there's a lot of heavy crud that stays in the bottom of the
oil pan if you only let the oil drip for a few minutes.  Most dealers
and oil change shops don't even let it drip for that long.  Some suck
the oil out without even pulling the plug.
     If you have the time, drive the left front tire up on a ramp.
 Maybe a 2x4 or two under the left rear tire too.  Set up your drain
pan, and then with the engine running, pull the drain plug.  The vacuum
keeps the oil in.  When you shut the engine, you then get the heavier
stuff glopping out first.
     Clean out the oil filter housing thoroughly.  I also then pour a
few ounces of new oil into the filter housing to flush the passageways.
     In this manner, you will find the engine can take 24 hours or more
to fully stop dripping.  Then just short of removing and degreasing the
oil pan, you've got out all the slimiest stuff that there is to remove.
Do remember to install the new o rings and washers that come in the box
with the new filter.
Tip:  Fill the oil filter housing with oil to assist in getting
immediate oil pressure when you first restart the car.
On the Road,

'jk