RE: E39 - Xenon/Halogen question

Regarding
- -----
From: Dave Castine <
Subject: E39 - Xenon/Halogen question

I have a buddy that has a set of '01 530 headlights. Very nice looking, my
question is will they work in my car? I have Halogens, will my bulbs fit the
sockets? I'm not interested in the Xenon stuff, the halo rings are cool too
- - thanks in advance...

Dave
98 540/6
- --------

Dave - while the headlights will fit into your car, and can be used there,
it is not possible to "retrofit" your halogen bulbs into HID (xenon)
headlights.

The lights are of a different design. Even if you could replace the bulb
mounting structure at the rear of the lights, the reflector and lenses are
very different. The HID units do not simply use a "different bulb" but the
total light design is different.

You could use them as HID lights (with the xenon "stuff") by just plugging
in your existing wiring.

You might have to add some resistors so that the check control would not
report low beam failures (different circuit resistance), and you would have
to aim them slightly lower than standard because you will not have the
"auto-levelling" system and therefore will more greatly affect oncoming
drivers when you have added loads, or are accelerating.

Cheers
Jim Cash