Old BMWs, was: Pondering purchase 85 635CSi (longish)

> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:16:03 -0500
> From: "Al Floer" <cybercord@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: <6er> Pondering purchase 85 635CSi (longish)
>
> To All,
>
> I too am loking and investigating a used 635.

> My research IMHO, is to buy a good cosmetic car, inside and out, with a a
> track record of being driven.  The motor, if kept up should be the least
of
> my future worries.  I have talked to owners of cars with less than 80k
miles
> and found out that the car sat for several years.  This is neglect and
> equals more money to repair.

Hi Al,

Driven cars are best, I agree.  I think the trick here is to plan on those
big repairs going into the purchase of an old car anyway, that way you won't
be suprised or unprepared.  These old cars wear out, and need frequent care.
I consider it the price of admission for owning an unusually fine
automobile, like the old six series cars.

After reading this thread on the used 635csi and their value I did a little
surfing on the subject.  I found decent well used drivers for just a few
thousand, and total cosmetic restorations for $15-20,000 usd.  I also
accidentally found a simply gorgeous 1974 3.0cs for $17,000, with about
140,000 miles.  Man I love that car!  What new car could we get for $17K?

My point is this: whether a ratty $2K clunker (really a $10K + project) or a
fresh $20K makeover, these cars are worth the money, at least to me.

Several years ago I needed a family car, so my beloved Volvo P1800 had to
go.  I had the choice to buy a new four door family car (Accord or Camry
most likely) or a used four door car with a little personality, but less
reliability.  I chose a one owner 1988 M5 with 75,000 miles.  It was less
expensive than the new cars by a long shot, performed better and had twice
the style (if you like tall bricks, that is, like I do).  Yes, my repair
bills have been significant over the past years, but not significant enough
to make up the difference between the cost of this car and the high price of
a new Camry, nor enough to dampen my enthusiasm for owning this fun car.
Now I am completely spoiled by the car and will have no other until I no
longer need a four door.  And yes, I know that if the motor blows I'll spend
more replacing it than the car is worth.  That's life sometimes.

So when I'm done with the four door family car I might just "step up" to a
'74 3.0CS, or an '88 M3, or an M6, or a spiffy 2002, or a...  Oh, the
possibilities!

Happy motoring,

Jeff Warden
http://home.earthlink.net/~jawarden/pages/M5.html