Re: buying used M30 3.4 liter engine

Ilia,

    Depending on how deep you can look into the engine
(head and pan off) check the cylinders for wear (check for
a ridge at the top of the cylinders), if you have calipers measure
the cylinders diameter at different locations checking for roundness.
If the heads/gaskets are still on look for burn marks between the
cyl and water passages. Of course look at the block where yours
is cracked. Make sure the crank turns fairly easily. You might want
to buy a magnaflux kit and check for cracks in the cylinder walls.
Pull the rod and main bearing caps and check for wear. Look at
the crank where the radius is for cracks, magnaflux will also find
cracks here. You can get some plastigage and check the bearing
clearances. Check the bottom of the cylinders for wear. Look for
cracked or burned pistons. Look at the bottoms of the rod caps
for excessive heat (bluing of the metal). If it still has an oil filter on
it cut it open and look for larger metal flakes.

Are you going to replace the bearings/rings before putting this engine
back together?

That's most of what I would look for.

Good Luck,

Dave Orr