buying used M30 3.4 liter engine

Hi guys,

Here is the story. My engine leaks oil into coolant and it is doing so since I
bought the car.  Obviously, the damned guy who sold it to me concealed this
rather unpleasant feature from me.

Couple of years ago I changed the head gasket and while doing so noticed two
tiny hairline cracks between the bolt holes and coolant passages in the block.
Things improved with the new gasket a little bit, though still overheating
in summer traffic with increasing amount of that milky stuff in coolant.  But
now it starts leaking a lot again, even if not terribly overheating. So I am
thinking of replacing the motor. Or the block only since the head looked fine when I
inspected it two years ago.

I don't want to by a new (rebuilt) one since the car is not in perfect shape
and it does not seem worth investing $3000 in it. Rather I am thinking of
getting some junk motor. There are 4 or 5 listed in car-parts.com in the
Raleigh-Durham area for $650-$900.

I need an advice what kind of things I should look for in a junk engine.  Are
there some simple tests I could do on the spot to tell a good motor from total
junk.

Any advice (including not to buy a junk motor) will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Ilia Zharkov.
'87 535is 145k, heart contaminated