Re: E36 central locking

"Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided> wrote:
> If the car is double locked, pulling on the interior handle will not
> open  the doors.  It only works when you've locked the car from the
> inside, which only engages the single lock.

I haven't had to R&R the E36 central locking system yet, but in my E30 the
double locking was activated by a microswitch. Once triggered, the
microswitch would throw the Central Locking Control Unit (CLCU sits under
the steering column) into the double locked mode. That in turns would send
voltage to the double lock motor in the passenger door that would prevent
it from unlocking. Actually, all it did is inhibit the door lock button
movement thus mechanically preventing the door from unlocking. The right
combination of turning the passenger side door lock and lifting the door
handle would bypasses that 'feature' and open the passenger door
regardless.
Long story short E36 may or may not be very different. But iff E36 central
lock system works similarly by rebooting the CLCU you will likely reset
the 'double lock' setting. Then you should be able to unlock the are by
pulling on the inside door handle.

> That's why the owner's manual cautions to never double lock the car
> with people inside.  They can't get out!

Yep, that rings a bell!

> One "posible" solution, if you can do this, is to get into the trunk
> (if you have the folding rear seats) and try to access the trunk lock.
> I'm fairly certain that the trunk lock can disengage the double lock
> on the E36.

Funny you should bring this up.
On my '95 M3, it does not. When the car is double locked (every! time it's
locked via the driver door), the trunk lock only opens the trunk.
On my wife's '98 328i, the trunk lock will engage the CLCU and unlock the
whole car. Either the '98 car does not engage double lock every time the
driver door lock is turned, or the trunk lock overrides the double lock
setting.
One of these days the central locking will break on one of these cars and
I will be forced to find out for sure. Until then, if someone knows the
answer, please share!

alex f