Re: o2 sensor for 318i, M42

"Shaun Dustin" <sdustin@domain.elided> wrote:
> I need to replace the oxygen sensor in my 318i with an m42 engine.
> Does anyone have a part # for an equivalent sensor that I might be
> able to find at a local parts store?

Shaun,
The single fastest way to obtain a part # is to call the dealer.
Either local or mail order. I like Hendrick - 800.476.8322 or Pacific BMW
800.909.7278 for mail order and refence price quotes.

> The one they want to sell me lists for $250.

Seams high. I remember paying $65 for OE 4-wire Bosch that went into my
E30.

> I would order it online, but I need it today my sister is getting
> married tomorrow, and I need the car.

I've never heard an 02 sensor stopping people from driving their cars.
It may through a check engine light. Ignore it. Unplug it altogether if in
doubt. The engine will default to rich running and lower your milage, but
that's as bad is it gets.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. The guys at the parts store
> were telling me that each sensor is calibrated differently, so even
> if I can find a 4-wire sensor with the proper threads, the output
> will be wrong. Any comments on this?

They are probably wrong.
All BMW 02 sensors run in the 0-1 Volt range depending on the amount of
oxygen in the exhaust. 4-wire sensors are heated, that's all. No magic.

Have you tried the dealer?

alex f