Towing with an X5 -- or a 540i touring wagon

Here's an interesting question (well, interesting to me at least)....

Does anyone tow with their X5?  Or their 540 wagon?

Does anyone know what the tow rating is for the 540?  I think that BMW NA
does not publish any tow ratings for the 540 in the US, but I would think
they must in Europe, because when I've driven on the continent, I've seen
every make of BMW from Z3 on up towing things -- even a 520(ish) wagon
towing a giant camper for vacations.

I'm looking to buy a new mommy-vehicle for the wife.  Would love to be able
to use it as a tow vehicle; 1800-2000 lbs. enclosed trailer, 3000lbs. car.
So an X5 with a 6000lbs. rating is probably on the marginal side, but it
would only be a half-dozen times a year, if that.

I know that something like a Suburban would be ideal, but I do NOT enjoy
driving big trucks on a daily basis -- hence the interest in an X5.  But I
also know that a 540 wagon actually has more room than an X5, and aside from
lacking AWD, is more fun to drive.

So, any and all suggestions welcome!  And any links to websites with more
info on X5s (and 540 tourings) would be most appreciated.

thx,

- --Dennis

.