Re: E34 Strut Cartridge Replacement

Alex,

The front suspension on the E34 is nothing like the suspension on the E30 or
E36.  It's the same as the E32 (7-series), and uses control arms, thrust
arms, recirculating ball steering, etc.  The E30 and E36 have the curved
control arms and rack and pinion steering.

While I haven't replaced struts on my E34 yet, I have done some reading and
studying, to prepare.  The E34 does have replaceable cartridges inserted
into the strut assemblies, but it's like the E30, not the E36, in that the
strut and wheel hub are all one assembly, so removing the strut means that
you'll also be handling the wheel hub and brake disc (unless you remove the
disc).  The nice thing about the E34 is that you don't need to separate a
control arm from the strut assembly (which is a real PITA).  Instead, there
are three bolts that hold the steering arm plate to the bottom of the strut
assembly.  Remove the bolts, and the two are separated.

Once the strut is removed from the car, the procedure is the same as the
E30: the spring is compressed, the strut bearing is removed, and the spring
is uncompressed and removed.  Then, the strut cartridge retaining collar is
unscrewed, and the cartridge can be replaced.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3
1993 E34 525iT