Re: E34 Strut Cartridge Replacement

"Chris Northover" <chris.northover@domain.elided> wrote

> I need to replace the shock absorber cartridges on my 1990 525i.  I
> went to buy some replacements but imagine my surprise when the chap
> in the shop said that he wouldn't sell them to me unless "I could
> satisfy him I knew what I was doing".  Apparently they are tricky
> and "I could do myself an injury".

He is probably just thinking about the need for spring compressors
and the exercise of care during the process.  Just tell him that
you do know what you are doing and have a Bentley and that you
aren't going to sue him.

> Unwanted patronisation aside, (must be something about my grey
> hair and wrinkles...) I asked around and it seems these things
> do have a bit of a reputation for difficulty;  something about
> the top nut being difficult to get on when reassembling the
> strut - the cartridge sits well down in the strut housing?
>
> Has anyone done this job lately?  Is there a trick to it?  Do
> I need a special non-standard spring compressor?  The Bentley
> Manual mentions no difficulties at all except the obvious stuff
> like using a new nut and making sure you get the spring
> compressor on right or risk losing your eye/hand/finger etc...

Go here:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/front_shocks.htm

I haven't done it (yet) on my '92 535i, but it looks as straight-
forward as any other strut job.

> BTW has anyone used the Bilstein inserts?  Not all suppliers
> refuse to supply these weapons of mass amputation, and I have
> been offered a pair for $NZ280 which is about $US150.  Also
> available for the same price are Japanese manufactured KYBs,
> which I haven't heard of before.  Or I could purchase OE from
> the dealer for a mere $US440 the pair.

What kind of ride are you looking for?

To what springs are you matching these shocks?

Unfortunately, opinions are like...  everyone has one.  You
are going to have to do some research and figure out what will
work best for _YOU_.  For example, if you want a factory ride
with stock springs, the stock Boge shock may well be your best
choice, in spite of the fact that they don't last as long as
Bilstein HDs.

Go here and spend some time with the search utility looking
for discussions on shocks:

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/

There's even a couple of folks that live in your part of the
world on that board.  They might be able to suggest a good source
for parts.  You should certainly be able to get the stock Boge
shocks for less than dealer cost -- their prices are crazy
for shocks.

Good luck,
Mike Kohlbrenner

End of bmw-digest V9 #2348