Mystery of the disappearing Roundel

Recently, I discovered that the graphics on the roundel hood ornament had
disappeared from my '92 525i.  By that, I mean that the roundel is still on
the hood and unmolested, but the blue, white, and black enamel have
disappeared without a trace.  The hood ornament still has the engraved
outline of the propeller and the letters BMW, but the surface is buffed
aluminum.  Has anyone else had this experience or can offer a possible
explanation?  BTW, the trunk roundel is normal as are the roundels on my
other BMW.

On the wiper replacement thread, I've been replacing my wiper inserts on my
525 and 325 for years with Bosch inserts, available at many auto stores.
Just be sure to measure both of your wipers since some BMWs use different
lengths on each side.  Even if you have to buy 2 sizes, it's still cheaper
and easier than making a trip to the dealer.  Besides, you now have next
years replacements.  The Bosch inserts come with the thin metal stiffeners
and you just slide the old insert out of the wiper arm and slide and lock in
the replacement.

Ron Sanders
RSanders@domain.elided