High milage...

  I've almost 168K on a 92 535i.I've noticed no indication of wear,but I'm
not certain that the engine hasn't been rebuilt.I strongly suspect that
BMW balances its engines to finer spec. than do other manufacturers,which
contributes to longevity.In the interest of selling more cars,its not
surprising that BMW dropped this engine after 93.(in the US,anyway).
  A friend and I rebuilt his 2002 4 a few years ago.Uncertain as to the miles,
as the odometer quit many years previous.When the car finally stopped running
a preliminary compression check showed the strongest cylinder at less than
20 psi....one or 2 didn't even register.
  I had a 1956 Chevy truck from 1965 to 1994.The milage was well over 300K
when gave it to brother.The 235ci 6 had one short block and one ring and bearing
during the years that I owned it.This was a "tractor-esque" engine,very under-
square,that I generally ran within 200 rpm of redline (4000rpm).
  Just my $.02 worth

Dennis H.
92 535i
4 vintage motorcycles (47 to 80)