Re: e36 front strut mounts

BMWracing9@domain.elided wrote:
> happy new year fellows,
> i replaced my suspension for the original boge shocks...
> when it rains i hear a squeek sound from the front shock...

Nico,
Did it squeak before the shock swap? Did the same mechanic do the shock
install? If so, the front suspension was not reassembled/tightened
correctly and your mechanic is either incompetent or is falling behind on
his new yacht payments.
If another mechanic did the swap, ask him how the upper shock mounts
looked during reassembly. Also ask him if he had reused/replaced the paper
gaskets that go between the upper shock mounts and strut tower to
eliminate minor squeaks.
It squeaks only when it rains?
That's weird, but relatively easy to trouble shoot: wait until the
suspension is dry and squeak free and selectively squirt water at
different parts (tie rods, strut tower, control arm, upper strut mounts,
etc). Have a bear once you find the culprit.

> mechanic says the upper strut mounts are making the noise
> and i should replace them $320 total...

Possible, but not likely. How many miles do you have on your car?
Upper strut mounts rarely go bad before 200K miles.
If you do need replacement, adjustable KMAC camber plates go for <$300 and
are a worthwhile options if you are inclined to modify your car. You will
need to realign the car afterwards.

> i have a cross bar at the top...

Is it tight?
The strut brace had to come off during the shock swap and may be loose.
Still does not explain why something squeals only in the rain.

> mechanic says not common for them to go on e36...

This is the first time I ever hear about squeaking upper shock mounts.
But than I'm not a BMW mechanic. Just a guy who has been hanging out on
various BMW lists for the last 6-7 years.

> should i replace them? is that a good price? any suggestions
> would be appreciated.. thanks

May be/Not exactly/Have another trusted wrench go over the car (ask local
Club members for a recommendation).

alex f