Re: e36 front strut mounts

>BMWracing9@domain.elided wrote:
>> happy new year fellows,
>> i replaced my suspension for the original boge shocks...
>> when it rains i hear a squeek sound from the front shock...
>
>Nico,
>Did it squeak before the shock swap? Did the same mechanic do the shock
>install?

Alex,
it did not squeak before. it is the same shop but the actual guy that did it is gone...i guess i can ask about the gasket or check the invoice...
>looked during reassembly. Also ask him if he had reused/replaced the paper
>gaskets that go between the upper shock mounts and strut tower to
>It squeaks only when it rains?

Yes only when very wet in there...

>That's weird, but relatively easy to trouble shoot: wait until the
>suspension is dry and squeak free and selectively squirt water at
>different parts (tie rods, strut tower, control arm, upper strut mounts,
>etc). Have a bear once you find the culprit.

Good idea... the shop said that is the upper mounts...
i wonder if stress bars put too much stress on the towers?

>> mechanic says the upper strut mounts are making the noise
>> and i should replace them $320 total...
>
>Possible, but not likely. How many miles do you have on your car?
>Upper strut mounts rarely go bad before 200K miles.

I have 113k...

>If you do need replacement, adjustable KMAC camber plates go for <$300 and
>are a worthwhile options if you are inclined to modify your car. You will
>need to realign the car afterwards.

Sounds good.. thanks a lot..