Re: e36 front strut mounts

BMWracing9@domain.elided wrote:
> >> happy new year fellows,
> >> i replaced my suspension for the original boge shocks...
> >> when it rains i hear a squeek sound from the front shock...
> >
> >Nico,
> >Did it squeak before the shock swap? Did the same mechanic do the
> >shock install?
>
> Alex,
> it did not squeak before. it is the same shop but the actual guy
> that did it is gone...i guess i can ask about the gasket or check
> the invoice...

Nico,
I doubt it will be on the invoice and you have no way of knowing what
short cuts the old tech made during strut reassembly since he is gone.
I would speak to the owner. Offer to pay for the new upper strut mounts if
they turn out bad (grind or show wear when they are off the strut) by the
time the strut towers are disassembled. If the upper strut mounts are OK,
than they shop picks up the cost of labor for reassembling them properly
the second time around.
Either that or find a friend with spring compressors and air tools and do
it yourself (DIY). That's the only way to really know if the job was done
properly.

> >That's weird, but relatively easy to trouble shoot: wait until the
> >suspension is dry and squeak free and selectively squirt water at
> >different parts (tie rods, strut tower, control arm, upper strut
mounts,
> >etc). Have a bear once you find the culprit.
>
> Good idea... the shop said that is the upper mounts...

How do they know?
How did they missed them when the strut tower was apart?!?

> i wonder if stress bars put too much stress on the towers?

I doubt it.
Unless you have an unhinged BMW Motorsport or JT-Design strut brace, it is
(sadly) all for show.
However, this brings up an interesting possibility: if the strut brace is
hinged (like most of the 'for show' strut braces out there), the hinges
may be squeaking!

alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2328