e34 computer problems

All,

I have a 91 e34 535i, that's been having some computer problems..  I have two gauges that ceased to work (they're just dead) the RPM, MPG and fuel gauge and my ECD (electronic display) only reads, "CODE?"

What's the deal?  I'm told I may need a new mainboard.  Can I buy this and install myself?  This is a Dinan model (the car) and is a rare bird.  Fun to work on.  I'm learning so please help.

Thanks from DC.

Matt