Re: E36 M3 alignment spec

Alan, you should definitely follow up on this if you suspect alignment is
off.  My wife's brand new '98 E36 323i had a significant center dead zone
in the steering and also pulled to one side very slightly.  I suspected
alignment issues and asked the shop to check.  They did, and said it was
fine (they checked *visually*).  I insisted on bringing it in again,
described the problem in more detail and that I was disappointed the
handling was worse than the 10-year-old VW Jetta it replaced :-).
Eventually I got the service manager to take it for a drive so I could show
him.  Afterwards he agreed to have a service person look at the alignment
and we made the appointment.  This was all still within the "adjustment
warranty" period (6 months???) where they will do adjustments free of
charge.

I wore my SCCA shirt in and made sure I talked to the guy doing the
alignment check.  Luckily he was a driving buff too.  The end result was
that 3 of the 4 wheels were outside factory spec.  The pulling and most of
the dead zone was gone after corrected alignment.  The last step was to
replace the original Michelin MXV4-Energy tires with Bridgestone RE71s and
we finally had a nicely handling car!!!

Probably 95% of owners would not be able to tell the difference between
either the alignment changes (or maybe even the tires, although to me
that's night and day).  You need to convince the shop that you are one of
the 5%.

		-Mike