E30: Removing Conv. Top Window (Zippered)

Hi All,

My 1988 325i Convertible still has the original top (I
believe).  While the soft sailcloth is in excellent
shape (always garaged), the plastic back window is
very cloudy and has some minor scratches from years of
use.  The polishes I've tried don't have any effect
anymore.

A local convertible top shop will replace the plastic
for $65 if I can remove and replace it.  I thought it
would be easy since there's a zipper around the whole
thing, but theres no handle to pull to unzip it!  It
meets at the bottom at a small metal covering.

The top shop guy said that BMW probably makes a
special tool for removing the window.  Have any of you
attempted this job?  What do I need to do it?

Thanks for any help,

Jay Karolyi
'88 325iC 5-speed Royal Blue
ex: '71 2002 4 speed Steel Blue,'87 325is 5-speed
Black, 1985 528e auto Metallic Black.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

End of bmw-digest V9 #2314