Re: E36 M3 alignment spec

"Alan Leung" <alanleung100@domain.elided> wrote:
> I've read from the Digest recently that the factory alignment spec is
> very wide to ensure that all cars coming off production will be within
> spec. One digester mentioned his brand new vehicle was pulling to one
> side due to overly-generous alignment specification.

Alan,
The insinuations you heard are largely B.S.
New bimmers are properly aligned at the factory. Granted, a lot of things
can happen to a car in transit. Some get cosmetical damage, some more than
that. Some get seriously beaten up as dealer demos, loan cars or on the
test drives.
Nevertheless, every bimmer I ever owned (4 to date) or test driven tracked
perfectly straight and true.

I've only heard of one suggestion ever surfacing about massively
misaligned new cars. And that one came from a very questionable source.

> Do dealers use the same spec if I take my car in for a realignment?

Yes.
In fact so do the independents. Hunter, for one, pre-loads all
manufacturers models' alignment specs into their rigs.
All of the above can also align a car to your specs if you know what you
want different. Alas, not every alignment setting is adjustable on a stock
bimmer.

> Would anyone be able to give me the factory alignment spec for 95 M3

Here you go (for what little it's worth).
Car is loaded with two 68kg sand bags on front seats, one 68kg in the
center of the rear seat and full tank of fuel.
Front:
Total toe:                                      0 degree 10' +/- 0.05
Camber *:                                       -55' +/- 30'
Toe difference angle with 20 degree inside wheel lock: -1 degree 50' +/-
30'
Caster * - with 10 degree wheel lock: 6 degrees 38' +/- 30'
         - with 20 degree wheel lock: 6 degrees 52' +/- 30'
Front wheel displacement:       0 degress +/- 10'
Maximum wheel lock - inside wheel:      ~38 degrees
                         - outside wheel: ~32 degrees
Turning circle:                         ~11.6 meters
* difference between left/right max 30'

Rear:
Total toe:                                      0 degress 30' +/- 5
Camber *:                                       -1 degress 45' +/- 10'
Geometrical axis deviation:             0 degress +/- 3'
* difference between left/right camber: max 15'

> and maybe a recommended (tighter) spec if I want my car to be
> realigned properly?

Alan,
There is no such thing as 'tighter' spec.
Factory alignment settings are optimized for street use and even tire
wear. I strongly urge that you stick to them.
If you need track or autoX alignment, you must likely already know what
you want (more negative camber and more caster).
The reason I'm not advertising my or someone else's alignment settings is
that they will most likely not work for you. Not to mention that you will
not achieve them without adjustable front/rear camber plates. Alignment
goals largely depend on the particular track layout, direction of travel,
tire selection and driving style.

Again,
1. stick with stock unless _you_ know what _you_ want different.
2. unless you had suspension work or were in an accident, your factory
alignment settings are a). correct; b). still good.

alex f