looking for first BMW

I'm in the market for my first (and much anticipated) BMW.  I was hoping for
a bit of advice from all of you out there fully immersed in the world of
BMW.  I've been looking at E30s and E28s, most recently a 87 325is, and a 88
535is, both in the $4-5k price and 115k to 140k miles range.  I know that
these cars are going to be a labor of love, but I just can't find anything
new that even comes close for driveability, quality, and of course, looks.
(around $20k, where I max out).  So, what should I look for in terms of
major upcoming repairs, and how much will I be spending on annual upkeep on
these older cars?  Any suggestions of problem areas, cars to look for,
links, etc.  would be greatly appreciated.