Re: looking for first BMW

"Jed Crystal" <jc@domain.elided> wrote:
> I'm in the market for my first (and much anticipated) BMW.  I was hoping
> for a bit of advice from all of you out there fully immersed in the
world
> of BMW.  I've been looking at E30s and E28s, most recently a 87 325is,
> and a 88 535is, both in the $4-5k price and 115k to 140k miles range. I
> know that these cars are going to be a labor of love,

Jed,
All used cars a labor of love, or money, whatever you have more.
BMWs are no different.

> but I just can't find anything new that even comes close for
driveability,
> quality, and of course, looks. (around $20k, where I max out).

You can pick up a lot of very nice used bimmers for $20K. Why stop at
$4-5K?

> So, what should I look for in terms of major upcoming repairs, and how
> much will I be spending on annual upkeep on these older cars? Any
> suggestions of problem areas, cars to look for, links, etc.  would be
> greatly appreciated.

Since you are asking all these questions, you definitely owe it to
yourself to take a perspective new to you used car it for a professional
pre-purchase inspection.
Are you a BMW CCA (www.bmwcca.org) member? If yes, go to the local
chapter's meeting and ask for a trust-worthy independent to perform a PPI.
 If not, join the club.

There are a few differences between E28s and E30s. Size being the biggest
one. Make up your mind how large of a car you want E28s are as large as
new E36/46 (latest 3-series) cars. Regular upkeep on the 5-series will be
a tad higher due to the added weight constantly crushing the suspension
bushings. But either car can be maintained for under $1K/year.
But the best car you can for the money. Whatever you pay more up-front for
lower miles/better condition will always easily offset the cost of future
repairs on a cheap ratty car.

Hope this helps.

alex f