<E28> Lighting system circuit check failure...

My 1986 528e has always had the CHECK light flash on the dashboard upon
initial start-up, which would go off when you hit the brakes the first time,
indicating that the check system confirmed a completed circuit. Also, the
small check panel in the headliner just in front of the sunroof switch has
always let me know about failed headlights, tail lights, etc. Now, both of
these systems (which I assume are connected) no longer work. I have check
all wired connections and fuses, and everything seems okay. Does anyone have
any experience and/or suggestions for fixing this problem?

Thanks - Eric