<E28> more stumbling problems

With the recent posts of 535i running problems, let me toss mine
out for review and discussion.

Traveling the interstate - cruise control on - anywhere between 70
and 80 MPH - 5th gear - the engine will start stumbling.  It will lose
power - stumble - pick up - stumble - lose power - and the "battle"
is on!

Well..., if I downshift to 4th - increased engine RPM - the stumbling
stops.  Same thing for downshifting to 3rd.

period of time - stumbling and all begins again.

Sometimes it will go away - and not return - for a few hours - or a
few trips.

Have checked the gasoline - nothing there.

Working with my local technician - we are baffled.

What say you?

Thank you for reading!

Wm. Kim Hensley
BMW CCA #16216