RE: E28 diagnosis/parts needed

Hi folks,

First of all, the response of the group has been fantastic.
Thanks for all of your inputs!

I didn't have the luxury of free time to solve the problem
myself, so I sent the car off to my trusty shop. The result?
When it came time to pull the car into the garage at the end of
the day last night (they expected they'd need to push it) the
535i started right up and was driven in. Today, one mechanic
started it up and took it for a test drive. Again, no problems
whatsoever.

TPS readings were in spec. Fuel pressure was right where it was
supposed to be when tested today.

So, it's an intermittent problem (painfully so), which is why I
originally thought computer. Part of this may well be what Steve
mentioned - the battery terminals were corroded (the shop
cleaned them up) and I may not have attached the AFM boot
correctly after replacing spark plug wires last month. However,
that wouldn't explain why everything was just peachy last night.
I don't think this is an ICV problem, because the car doesn't
idle high - it had to be revved there when it wouldn't run
anywhere else (near idle).

The mystery continues, but I should have a chance to investigate
everyones theories this weekend. More info to follow. In the
meantime, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Erik
http://mailplus.yahoo.com