Re: Spark Plug Question

"Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're measuring for gap, but the dual electrode
> plugs are pre-gapped when manufactured, and don't require any gap
> setting.  That's probably why you didn't find any gap information
> in the Bentley manual.
> Just pull 'em out of the box and install them.

What Ron said.
Frank,
Multi-electrode plugs can not be re-gapped and like their single-elecrtode
siblings come pre-gapped from the manufacturer.
I assume you had bought either Bosch F7LDCR or NGK BKR6EK plugs, right?
Doesn't matter which of the two. Both work equally well and BMW used them
interchangeably throughout the production run. My '95 M3 came with OE NGKs
and now runs happily with Bosch plugs.
If you bought some other brand/model, throw them away and order the
correct parts.
Your ///M3 is not a lawn mower. It has a precisely engineered computer
controlled ignition system. Screwing around with cheap ass components to
save a buck or blocking air passages just for kicks is a road to poor
performance at best and engine damage at worst.

What was your reason for replacing the 02 sensor? Did the old one die? If
so it may take the DME a bit of time to re-adjust to a new valid 02 sensor
inputs. If the stutter does not clear a few days of running, double check
that everything you touched is plugged in back and torqued correctly.

BTW, did you see any oil in the spark plug holes? If so, replace the valve
cover gaskets ASAP and/or start shopping for six new coils.

alex f