Re: Spark Plug Question

On Dec 6, 2002, alex.fadeev@domain.elided  wrote:

 |Multi-electrode plugs can not be re-gapped and like their single-elecrtode
 |siblings come pre-gapped from the manufacturer.
 |I assume you had bought either Bosch F7LDCR or NGK BKR6EK plugs, right?
 |Doesn't matter which of the two. Both work equally well and BMW used them
 |interchangeably throughout the production run. My '95 M3 came with OE NGKs
 |and now runs happily with Bosch plugs.
 |If you bought some other brand/model, throw them away and order the
 |correct parts.

Not to start a debate that may have occured here before, but...

My understanding is that the difference between multi-electrode (rim
or split types) is marginal, if anything.  The spark will still jump
from the easiest place which will usually be close to the same spot
every time.

There was a BIG discussion when Splitfire brand plugs first came out,
and IIRC, a report (circa early 90's) I read said they weren't any
better at providing a hot spark than any other plug.

In addition, the report stated that platinum plugs were actually worse
than regular plugs for vehicles that didn't use them as OE because the
platinum spark was much cooler than an steel/iron (or whatever they
use in regular plugs).

Where they (split and platinum plugs) did help, the report continues,
is when the car's ignition could not produce enough voltage to jump
the gap consistently because they required less voltage to jump the
same gap.

I know there are a lot of fanitical Bimmer owners out there who will
not accept anything without the BMW seal of approval (no offense with
that statement - I suffer that disease for the most part too), but
blind faith should be practiced with your eyes open...

OTOH, if things have changed since that report and there is scientific
data to back it up, I'd like to read it!

Cheers!

/greg

'99 MZ3, '02 325xi, '98 K12RS, and an M3 on the way...

- --
Gregory F. March    -=-    http://www.gfm.net:81/~march    -=-    AIM:GfmNet