Re: 1994 318ic differential needed...

bdup <bdup@domain.elided> wrote:

> the rear diff on my 1994 318ic needs to be replaced and my local dealer
> says it's going to cost $2200 for the part and $450 for the labor.
>
> i'm wondering if that's a reasonable price for the part?

Bdup,
I'm not sure about brand new diffs' pricing, but used ones go for around
$200-250 for open diffs and $300-450 for limited slip varieties. If I were
you I would research your current diff ratio (sorry, I can't help with
318's) and upgrade to a used limited slip diff if possible.
A good place to ask for advise and assitence is:
http://http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/

> i'm also wondering if it's a good idea to find the part myself and have
> it installed somewhere else, the dealership wont install the part unless
> i buy it from them.

Most independents will be happy to take your money to help you install a
used diff. Check with your local BMW CCA chapter for trustworthy
independents if none come to mind.
Or you could do this yourself if you are a half accomplished DIYer.

alex f

P.S.: Here is another link for used BMW parts: http://car-part.com/