1994 318ic differential needed...

the rear diff on my 1994 318ic needs to be replaced and my local dealer says
it's going to cost $2200 for the part and $450 for the labor.

i'm wondering if that's a reasonable price for the part?

i'm also wondering if it's a good idea to find the part myself and have it
installed somewhere else, the dealership wont install the part unless i  buy
it from them.

i'm a law student and finals start next week, so i won't be able to deal
with it for two weeks. appreciate any leads (to purchase the part) or
advice on the best way to proceed.

bdup@domain.elided
hang on tightly, let go lightly.