Re: Mobil 1 vs. Red Line synthetic oils

DJLogan33@domain.elided wrote:

> I need some advise.
>
> I have used Mobil 1 synthetic oil in all my BMW cars for many years.
> I have been very happy with Mobil 1.

Dennis,
Like others have said: if it's not broke, why fix it?

> I use 20W-50 in the summer and 10W-30 in the winter.

That's probably 15W-50 Mobil 1 in the summer. I use it year round in all
my bimmers (there are no winters in TX ;-)

> I have heard and read a lot lately that Red Line synthetic oil is the
> best. Does anyone have any technical data to compare the different
> synthetic oils? What is your opinion and experience on the different
> types of synthetic oils?

The only agreed upon opinion is that synthetics are better at resisting
high temperature break down than regular dyno oils. How often do you run
your oil temps north of 300F? Probably never unless you spend quality time
on track!
Is one synthetic better than another? Is any one of them 'the best'? Does
it matter for 99% of the non-racers amongst us? Did whomever tell you that
RedLine is the best provide any data?
IMHO, the answers are: probably, maybe, no, no.

> I am getting ready to change my oil soon and I am considering changing
> to Red Line or another synthetic oil, if proven to be better.

It may or may not be better than Mobil 1, but one thing is for sure: it is
more expensive.

YMMV,
alex f