re:oil consumption in M5

> my M5 a 2000 model has been using oil at a very high rate( 1 ltr every
> 7-800  miles) since i got the car new....it's had all specified svcs at
> the dealer  and i now have 66,000 miles and can't figure out why?

The S62 engine uses some oil, and 1ltr/800mi is not atypical for the first
15K or so miles, though conventional wisdom is that oil consumption goes
down as the mileage goes up.  BMW might consider it normal for the S62
engine.

I'd pop in over at the messageboards over on http://www.bmwm5.com and
search some of the threads over there to get some of the history of this
issue.

What kind of oil is your dealer using - the strongly-recommended Castrol
TWS 10W-60 or the standard-issue 5W-30?

Mine is at 25000 miles, goes about 2000mi between additions, and never used
more than that even new; it's had the TWS 10W-60 in it most of its life
(aside from 5000mi on Amsoil 20W-50.)

John.