Re: oil consumption in M5

As to my knowledge of this car and speaking to several owners it is common
practice for the car to brun a little more oil consumption than you have
stated

my M5 a 2000 model has been using oil at a very high rate( 1 ltr every 7-800
miles) since i got the car new....it's had all specified svcs at the dealer
and i now have 66,000 miles and can't figure out why?
any answers here?

First off the normal oil conusmption for this car is 1-1.5 quarts per every
1000- 2000 miles or in between scheduled oil changes they consume more
depending on the type of driving you do. One close friend drives his M5 hard
every day but religiously checks the oil ( as he was told by the dealer to do
so) and has spare oil containers from BMW  6W40 or 50 I believe is the oil
used for that car. Every E39 M5 owner has the same registered complaint about
the M5 and in response by one BMW dealership was

HOW DO YOU EXPECT A HIGH REVVING V8 (that allows you to rev up to almost 7500
rpm and give you a nice substantial power band throughout the rpm range )TO
NOT CONSUME ANY OIL?

Well my experience with high revving motors is that the higher the engine can
rev and produce horsepower at high rpm's it is a tradeb off between oil
consumption and longevity. The BMP touring car had a 2.0L 6 cylinder that
produced around 200-250 horsepower but it could produce it almost any rpm and
it had redline of 11,000-13,000 rpm. It would consume oil and it was a motor
that lasted a couple of hours " NOT MILES".

Consult the local dealership and ask some trained M mechanics what they think
about the oil consumption. I belive it is normal for that motor.

Harry G.