Re: check engine(fault codes)

"Paul Frederick" <pfrederi@domain.elided> wrote:
> Hello All
> My "check engine" light came on this morning. Can anyone tell me
> how to check and read the fault codes. I have a 95 M3.

Paul,
Some say the 5 WOT trick works on cars up to '95 MY, but I could never get
it to work on my '95 M3. Here are the instructions just in case:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/motronic.html
Other than that, ask to borrow a Peak-style code reader/resetter from one
of your local BMW CCA chapter members. Or buy one yourself:
http://www.peakeresearch.com/index.shtml

> The low coolant message came up for the last couple of days when
> I started up the car in the morning but went away after all the
> checks.

Have you checked the actually coolant level in the morning?
Was it low? Did you add more coolant?
Could be a flaky switch, could be low coolant that expands when warm.

> I have had the low coolant message before and never got a check
> engine light.

The two are entirely unrelated.

> I added a little bit of prestone antifreeze in the expansion
> tank just to fill line.

Good for you.
Now read the CE code, fix the problem, reset the light.

good luck,
alex f