check engine(fault codes)

Hello All
My "check engine" light came on this morning. Can anyone tell me how to
check and read the fault codes. I have a 95 M3. The low coolant message came
up for the last couple of days when I started up the car in the morning but
went away after all the checks. I have had the low coolant message before
and never got a check engine light. I added a little bit of prestone
antifreeze in the expansion tank just to fill line.

Thanks in advance

Paul

End of bmw-digest V9 #2294