fuel smell update e36

Guys,
I ended up replacing (via mechanic) both my fuel pumps as the seals around them were leaking a little... apparently, you must replace the whole thing.. (another case of bmw "bundling" parts together to save us  money)...
i have a little problem now, the fuel gage does not go past the F after filling up.. i fill up completely (top off) and the needle reaches 1/8 inch left of the F, not past it like before...
Is this something the mechanic missed, maybe position of the gage itself...? i am taking the car back but i want to know what to expect...
TIA
Nico 94 e36