Summary - Battery drain

Thanks to the list for some very useful suggestions and hard data.  I
had no idea the spec for drain was just 30 mA!  Seems very low.

I suspect that there is a combination of things going on.  Tendency
to short trips, detector wired for always on, BS from dealer, some
truth from dealer.

The detector is now turned off when the car is off.  We'll see how it
goes for a few weeks like this.  I will be checking draw this
weekend, with and w/o detector on to look for other problems.

I still am a bit surprised, as I've always wired my detectors for
always on, and never had this issue in literally a dozen cars.  I'll
allow as how maybe the additional electronics in cars now may make
this practice more suspect, by pushing the total load over the edge.

Again, thank to everyone for some very good advice and suggestions.
		-Bob