Re: cd player install in an e36 ti?

JHahn22@domain.elided wrote:
> Hello again folks,
> I'd like to put a cd player in my 95 318ti and I'm wondering what kinds
of
> things I'm going to have to mess with?  I've put ones in a couple E30s
and
> had to deal with wiring around the factory amp in the trunk etc.  What
is
> involved on the e36's?

Jake,
I'm not 100% sure about the ti's, but all '95+ E36 cars are pre-wired for
the BMW CD changer and alarm.
The 6-CD BMW (Alpine or Pioneer, depending on the head unit) changer is
mounted above the battery tray via a BMW hanger. The power and data cables
are hidden in the battery area behind the trunk lining.

> Are there aftermarket cd changers that just plug into the factory
harness
> in the trunk, or do I have to pay big bucks for a factory BMW model?

I've heard Crutchfield, among others, sells plug converters for
aftermarket CD changers.
Used BMW changers go for $200-250.

good luck,
alex f