Re: M3 Leaky transmission Question

Ray Bahr <rbahr@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have a 95 M3, 5 speed which leaks fluid from some where when I track
the
> car. It ONLY happens when I am doing fairly high G turns, the fluid
(small
> amounts) drop on the cat, cause smoke and generally upset those folks
> around me.

Ray,
It is highly unlikely that the tranny is leaking on the cat. If you had
overfilled it (have you replaced the fluid it recently?), it could be
expelled from the breather hole on top of the transmission housing. But
than it would drip down the housing, not sideways towards the cat.
I think it was Jeffrem on the UUC list that suggested that you check out
the selector shaft seal.

> Last winter I thought it was fluid coming out of the rear tranny
> vent, and I rigged up a extension to the vent by installing an old vent,

> removing the vent cap, attaching a rubber hose and bringing it up to the

> engine compartment and added another vent. This did not fix the problem.

I'm not sure I can follow the rigging instructions.

> Anyone have any thoughts?

See above.
Hope this helps,

alex f