Tranny issues: E34 525i

Hey All,

I recently picked up a '92 525i as an additional daily driver, and while
super clean (and obviously well cared for) has a couple issues that I
could use some opinions on.

First: tranny. Automatic. Seems to drive well when at D (either Auto or
'Manual') however moving the lever from Park to Drive (or any other
position) is very difficult. Perhaps unrelated, the car feels a bit
gutless.

I dropped it off at a Tranny shop I've had good luck with in the past for
an eval, and they're telling me basically it just needs to be completely
rebuilt. Computer-control doesn't allow them to do much of anything other
than bring it back up to spec then let the program manage it. Even
flushing the fluid at this point - he says - could exacerbate the problem.

I dont have any experience with the E34 Auto transmissions (I believe
this is the 'GM Type' 4L30E).

Does my shop guy make sense? Any thoughts?

Drew