<E-36> Power seat problems

I have a 93 325is with 6-way power seats.  Unfortunately, the driver's seat
just became 4-way when the seatback adjustment quit.  Now when I try to move
the seatback forward or backward, I hear the motor, but there is no movement
either way.  Only very limited information is posted on the net or in
Bentley.  Before I cast fate to the dealer, does anyone on the list have
experience troubleshooting and (successfully) repairing these power seats?
Knowledge, opinions and interesting folklore appreciated.

Ron Sanders
RSanders@domain.elided
93 325is
92 525i