Re: E34 tepid heater?

I am just completing a cooling system service on my E34 525iT, and among
other things, I replaced the hoses.  ALL hoses.  That includes the large
upper and lower radiator hoses, the 'hydra' hose (connects to radiator,
engine block, heater core, and throttle body), and all heater hoses.

Since this car has a dual heater control (driver & passenger), there are two
coolant feeds to the heater core.  In order to independently adjust these
heater temps, a pump (mounted above the ABS pump) manages the water flow to
the two heater core inputs.

One of the replacement heater hoses (goes from the heater pump to the heater
core) was much more expensive than the nearly identical hose right next to
it, also connecting the heater pump to the heater core.  The difference?  It
has a bleeder screw/valve included with it.  My original hose did not have
this.

So, since it's at the highest point in the cooling system (higher than the
bleeder screw on the radiator), it's in a great place to bleed air out of
the system, and especially from the maze of hoses serving the heater core.

If your car is equipped with the dual heater controls, perhaps you should
replace the hose with the bleeder hose, and it'll allow you to bleed all of
the air from the heater core.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3