re: Cold Air Intakes/ + dyno numbers

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 alex.fadeev@domain.elided wrote:

> > But can the factory airbox be improved at zero cost?  You bet it can.
> > Inside that airbox is what BMW calls an "intake noise silencer". It is
> > an airhorn that considerably restricts the intake airflow.  It is the
> > most commonly removed 'cheater' item in stock class competitions.
>
> This is complete BS.
> Removing the plastic 'horn' does nothing but create turbulence in the
> stock/euro box and a). make them noisier; b). confuse HFM by feeding it
> turbulent air.
> A guys on the E30 digest recently did a filter test that also covered
> removing the 'horn'. Here are the results:
> http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/index.html

 To be fair, my test only covered the E30 airbox & horn.  If the E36
airbox for that larger motor needed a restrictive element to meet
intake noise standards, that's possible.
 Someone should give me an E36 M3 for a year or 2 and I'll be sure to
test all the different airbox configurations for that model as well.
;-)

 If y'all wish to continue debating this, please continue, but be
nice and TRIM your replies.  The messages are already getting a bit
long...

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro

End of bmw-digest V9 #2276