Re: Cold Air Intakes/ + dyno numbers

Whew,
     I think your reply to my posting about airbox and intake snout mods
comes as close to flaming as the modern era of these digests will
tolerate.
     The dyno does not lie.
This wasn't a wholly scientific test.  It was a comparison of a group of
externally modified BMW engines, showing that a stock airbox with the
inner and outer snout removed, with a better outer inlet horn in its
place, can and does produce at least as much torque than the cars with
add on snouts, and nearly as much horsepower.

On dyno day we had Dinan snouts, Conforti's, some homemades, and my
altered stock airbox.

     My premise that the "stock" figures shown by tuners in their
promotional materials is the bone stock configuration, internal horn and
external wheezer snout included, goes unresponded to.
     If the tuners were to show what improvement they can offer above
and beyone what you get with an opened up airbox, then I might consider
buying their products.

  All theoretical balderdash aside, the dyno does not lie.

But a car owner who spend $$$$ for mods where an equivalent power gain
could have been had for con$iderably le$$, well they can be humble and
admit they could have done better, or play ego and character
a$$a$$ination against the simple yet effective mods I came up with.

There is also the 3 inch round 90 degree curved flexible rubber plumbing
tube that fits snugly right into the foglight hole.  That blows nice
high velocity outside air right up to air box's inlet opening.
But since it doesn't have a big name tuner's label on it and cost $$$, I
doubt whoever is trying to flame me would be interested.

     For the rest of you, if you live in the SF Bay Area, get in touch
and I'll be glad to show you this simple $20. mod.  The Bay Bimmerz guys
certainly thougth it was worthwhile and I think you will too.
Especially if you agree with me that under controlled test conditions,
the dyno does not lie.

End of bmw-digest V9 #2275