Re: Automatic Mysteriously Stalled

"Kevin Mulligan" <kevin@domain.elided> wrote:
> I've got a 1995 318isA. Today went out to get some fast food,
> about a 6 mile one-way trip. I'm at the light before the food
> place, it's red, sitting, and out of no where my car stalled.
> I had my music on, and had just turned off the A/C and Recycle
> Air buttons as I was coming up to the intersection. The Check
> Engine Light came on, and all the accessories were still on.
>
> I turn the key off, then back on in an attempt to crank - nothing.
> No crank, accessories come on. Put into park and hit the cautions
> as the light turned green.
> Try it again... turn off, try and crank. Nope, accessories come
> back on though.
> Try it again... turn off, try and crank. Still nothing, but the
> accessories do come back on.
>
> Try it again... this time she cranks like normal, and off I go.
> Make it the fast food place and back the entire trip with no problem.
>
> What caused this? The CEL went off, she ran like normal. Has me
> real worried about my 4 hour drive back over fall break (Oct. 11-15).

Kevin,
Chances are your DME has stored the Check Engine code even if the light is
now off.
Borrow a code reader from a friend (or go to the dealer to have the codes
read) and see what is says.
You can also try the press the gas pedal 5 times routine
(http://www.unofficialbmw.com/bmw_faq.html), but it has never worked for me
in my '95 M3.

alex f