Automatic Mysteriously Stalled

I've got a 1995 318isA. Today went out to get some fast food, about a 6 mile
one-way trip. I'm at the light before the food place, it's red, sitting, and
out of no where my car stalled. I had my music on, and had just turned off the
A/C and Recycle Air buttons as I was coming up to the intersection. The Check
Engine Light came on, and all the accessories were still on.

I turn the key off, then back on in an attempt to crank - nothing. No crank,
accessories come on. Put into park and hit the cautions as the light turned
green.
Try it again... turn off, try and crank. Nope, accessories come back on
though.
Try it again... turn off, try and crank. Still nothing, but the accessories do
come back on.

Try it again... this time she cranks like normal, and off I go. Make it the
fast food place and back the entire trip with no problem.

What caused this? The CEL went off, she ran like normal. Has me real worried
about my 4 hour drive back over fall break (Oct. 11-15).

Thanks...

End of bmw-digest V9 #2251