Heated seats on E36

Hello all,

I'm a first time poster so have patience with me :)

Here is the story:
while cleaning my '97 325tds (Euro spec) last weekend, I unbolted the
frontseats to be able to vaccum under the seats properly (after almost 5 years
of usage...amazing what you find there) and to my surprise I noticed wires
going from both seats to somewhere under the carpet. There is also a black,
square module with numbers on it (I took a picture of it but don't know how to
post it here). Now, I don't have power seats nor heated seats, so what are
these wires ? My best instant guess was that BMW probably doesn't bother
producing two/three/four separate seat assemblies for heated/not
heated.powered/not powered front seats and I might have discovered that the
heating elements and wiring is already there. Could this be correct ? How can
I check if the heating elements are there ? Just connect the battery to it a
feel if it gets warm ? I'm a bit afraid of blowing some fuses/relais by doing
it.
So, is there somewhere a detailed wiring diagram for heated seats, so I can
verify my findings ?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas