Buying '98 M3

If you can bear with me, a few naive questions from a brand newbie.  A friend
has offered to sell me his 1998 M3 automatic with 40,000 on the clock.  I know
he's maintained it perfectly, and the body and interior are in great shape.  I
know the guy pretty well and to my knowledge he's never really stressed the
car by racing or even driving that hard.  He has installed a $1,500 set of
aftermarket wheels, but otherwise it's stock.  I would rather have a stick,
but this may be too good to pass up.

My questions are: 1. Does $20,000 sound like a fair price?  2.Are there any
big replacement or maintenance costs due soon?  3. Anything in particular to
check in the engine or chassis?  4. Before he made the offer to sell, I was
thinking of a new 330ci.  Forgetting the mileage and the difference in cost,
which is the better car?  I drive like a bat out hell (as reflected by the
points on my license) and like nothing better than performance and handling.
Ride quality and family values are secondary.  All sage advice will be
appreciated.

Rick