Re: Buying '98 M3

"Richard Alexander" <allerdoc@domain.elided> wrote:
> If you can bear with me, a few naive questions from a brand newbie.
> A friend has offered to sell me his 1998 M3 automatic with 40,000
> on the clock.  I know he's maintained it perfectly, and the body
> and interior are in great shape.  I know the guy pretty well and
> to my knowledge he's never really stressed the car by racing or
> even driving that hard.

What a waste... ;-(

> He has installed a $1,500 set of aftermarket wheels, but otherwise
> it's stock.  I would rather have a stick, but this may be too good
> to pass up.
>
> My questions are: 1. Does $20,000 sound like a fair price?

For a '95 M3 with 40K miles? - You bet.
For an automatic? - I don't know.
Slush box M3s are like white elephants. A few people sware by them. Most
think of them as a nuisance. Thus they sell at a significant discount to
their 5 speed brother.

> 2. Are there any big replacement or maintenance costs due soon?

None.

> 3. Anything in particular to check in the engine or chassis?

When buying a used car, always take it to a trusted mechanic for a
pre-purchase inspection.

> 4. Before he made the offer to sell, I was thinking of a new 330ci.
> Forgetting the mileage and the difference in cost, which is the better
> car? I drive like a bat out hell (as reflected by the points on my
> license) and like nothing better than performance and handling.
> Ride quality and family values are secondary.  All sage advice will be
> appreciated.

Rick,
Unless you place and order for a V1 _before_ buying the M3, you are all but
guaranteed to loose your licence.
Go ahead and borrow your friend's car for a drive to the dealer. Than test
drive a 330Ci. The slush-box issues aside, the M3 is a hands down quicker,
nimbler car. But if you want a cushier ride with a warranty, the 330 may be
right up your alley.
Don't let others tell you what to do. Dive both and pick the one that puts
a bigger smile on your face.

alex f
'89 325i manual (freshly crunched by a Mountaineer)
'95 M3 manual (flaky DME)
'98 328i slush box (hers)