<E28> Exhaust Resonator removal.. any issues?

Hi All,

Another question, this time regarding exhaust.  My muffler is starting to come
apart and get a but noisy.  Again I have been thinking about an upgrade, but
the E28 535i, is very limiting on the exhaust choices you can make since the
muffler runs between the tank and the spare tire well, and therefore not much
out there that is aftermarket will fit, except specifically designed BMW
parts.

So I am thinking custom job, and I noticed that if the resonator was removed
in the location just after the catalytic,  it would allow a standard 2 in 2
out muffler to fit, and then all I would have to do is get some exhaust pipe
bent to run to the back of the car and terminate in the standard spot in the
centre of the bumper.  All of this would be far less expensive than trying to
find an aftermarket muffler that works in the stock location for the E28 535i,
since the ones I have seen are very pricey, and most likely less expensive
than putting in a stock replacement.  I want a slightly throaty sound as well.
There are a lot of generic style performance mufflers out there that have the
2 in 2 out configuration that would make use of the dual exhaust system that
my 85 535i has, so finding a muffler that would work would be easy.  My
concern is about the resonator, and if the removal of it would cause any
problems, I.E Back pressure change, and if that would have any adverse effects
on the performance of the car,

Anyone have any input?  Thanks in advance

Cheers

Ron Jordan
85 535i
73 911s 2.7