RE: sputtering '92 325i

My 92 325 had exactly these symptoms, with the addition that it happened
more often while cold and got better at hot. It was a coil problem. In
addition to the coils taking out the ECU, the fail to spark causes the
unburned mixture to go to the catcon which could cause it to fail
prematurely.

I can't guarantee that it is the coils, but it seems consistent to me. It's
worth taking to a shop as the worst case is not only a tow but also ECU or
catcon damage.

Greg